Chipotle Barbacoa is one of my wife’s favorites. She absolutely loves this stuff as do I. After eating there the other day, we decided to try a copycat recipe of this legendary food. Barbacoa is actually quite simple to make. The biggest factor in making good Barbacoa is time. If you try to cook it too fast, the meat will be tough. Originally, Barbacoa was cooked in pits dug into the ground and slow smoked all night long. Don’t worry, you won’t need a shovel to make this tasty meat. All that you are going to need is a slow cooker, a blender, and about 7 hours of patience. DO NOT try to speed up the preparation of this meal. It needs time to break down the fibers in the meat so it will shred and be really tender.
There are so many things that you can do with this meat when it’s done. You can make street tacos, enchiladas, burritos, or just eat it by itself. Typical sides to serve with this are salsa, pico de gallo, beans, rice and cornbread. If you find this recipe to your liking, don’t forget to share on social media. Also, let us know what you think in the comments section.
Buon appetito m’amici!
- 3 lbs Sirloin Roast
- ¾ Cup Chicken Stock (Unsalted)
- ⅓ Cup Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Limes Juiced
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 TBSP Chipotle Powder or 4 Chipotle Peppers
- 1 TBSP Oregano
- 1 TBSP Cumin
- 1 TBSP Chili Powder
- 1 TBSP Parpika
- 1 TSP Black Pepper
- 1-2 TSP Salt
- ½ TSP Ground Allspice
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- Combine all ingredients excluding the beef, oil, and bay leaves in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add olive oil to a skillet and heat until hot.
- Cut your beef into 4 pieces and brown all sides in the hot skillet.
- Transfer the browned beef into slow cooker and turn to low setting.
- Add blended sauce and cook on low for at least 6 hours (it can go longer on low heat).
- At the 6 hour mark, take beef and shred with a fork on a plate.
- Return shredded beef into the slow cooker and cook on low 1 more hour.
- Remove bay leaves, serve, and enjoy!