Are you looking for a great way to add flavor to your grilled meats? If you want to take that nice cut of steak to the next level, then you need to incorporate this tip. It’s very simple to add some great flavor without adding calories or the bad fat. One of my favorite tricks is to serve caramelized onions with grilled steak or chicken. This is so much better than using A-1. Seriously, I was almost laughing when I thought about putting that garbage on a great steak. A good piece of meat needs to be complimented, not overpowered. Caramelizing onions is not only healthy, but the deep, rich, and sweet taste goes well with almost any grilled meat. If you don’t own a cast iron skillet, get one. It will give you, hands down, the best caramelized onions.
Caramelizing an onion is simple. Just be sure to follow these easy steps. One large onion will serve two people. Additional onions will add to the cooking time. Below is for one onion.
- Slice the onion into large pieces.
- Add the onion into a cast iron skillet and cover with extra virgin olive oil.
- Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Sautee over low heat, be careful to not burn the onion.
- Stir often.
- Cook until onions turn brown about 30 minutes.