Carne Asada is one of my favorite dishes when I go to a Mexican restaurant. When prepared properly, this is an absolute delicious meal. This is one of those dishes that actually has an art-form to its preparation. Carne Asada, which literally translates to “roasted meat”, is made with a very thin cut of meat, usually skirt steak or flank steak. I prefer skirt steak for this meal. For those of you who don’t know, skirt steak is the cut of beef that is usually in fajitas. So, how do you make carne asada? The secret is in the marinade. The marinade for this famous dish needs to be very acidic. The acid breaks down the fibers of the beef and tenderizes the steak. Skip this step (or don’t marinate long enough) and you will be left with a piece of dry meat. (Think beef jerky.)
This recipe is actually very easy to make. Just be sure to prepare your marinade far enough in advance, so you will have adequate time for the meat to marinate. I would recommend preparing in the morning for dinner, or better yet, one day in advance.
- 1 LB Skirt or Flank Steak (Skirt steak is preferred)
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Lime Juice
- ¼ Cup White Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 TSP Fresh Ground Pepper
- ¼ TSP Kosher Salt
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Bunch Cilantro
- With a meat pounder, pound the steak so it is a similar thickness throughout.
- Combine liquid ingredients in a large Ziploc bag.
- Add salt and pepper to bag.
- Press and mince garlic.
- Finely chop the cilantro.
- Add steak, garlic, and cilantro to the bag.
- Seal and shake well. Return to fridge to marinate.
- Marinate for a minimum of 4-6 hours, or better yet overnight.
- Preheat grill. I preheated mine to 700 degrees.
- Cook steaks to liking. Mine cooked for about 3 minutes per side to medium.
- Exact cooking time will depend on temperature of grill and thickness of steaks.
- It is recommended to not cook skirt or flank above medium, as these are very lean cuts of meat that will dry out fast.
- Let steaks rest for 5 minutes after cooking.
- Serve with refried beans topped with queso quesadilla cheese.
Products Used in Preparation of this Recipe: