This family Italian meatball recipe comes compliments of my Great-Aunt Elvira. My Aunt taught me how to cook many Italian recipes. I can remember asking her to help me learn to cook when I was in college. Believe it or not, the cafeteria food was really bad. After 1 year of bland, mass-produced food, I decided to forgo my meal plan and cook on my own. Problem was, my cooking experience was grilled cheese and ramen noodles. Don’t get me wrong, great college foods, but you can’t eat it everyday. So, I went paper and pen in hand and got some cooking lessons from my great-aunt. The Italian meatballs were one of the first things that we ever made together. I can still remember how excited she was to teach me the art of Italian cooking. You know, she didn’t once use a recipe, and everything turned out spectacular! Thanks Aunt Elvira for all the great lessons.
- 1 lb Ground Beef (Lean)
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- 1/2 lb Ground Turkey
- 1/4 Cup Minced Sweet Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic Pressed and Minced (Use your Garlic Press)
- 1 Tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Total Finely Chopped Fresh Basil and Parsley
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and knead together.
- Roll meatballs into a ball slightly larger than a golf ball.
- Preheat a large skillet and spray with olive oil spray. Do you have a Misto Gourmet Olive Oil Sprayer?
- Over high heat, brown the meatballs on each side, do not cook all the way through. You will probably have to cook the meatballs in batches.
- The best way to cook the meatballs the rest of the way is in a pot of meat sauce over low heat for 4-6 hours. If you are not making sauce, add 28 oz of tomato puree, 1 tsp fresh ground pepper, 2 cloves pressed garlic, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 tsp italian seasoning to the skillet. Cover and simmer for 1 hour stirring frequently.
- Serve with sauce and your favorite pasta in a fancy pasta bowl.
Products Used in Preparation of This Recipe:
- Pasta Diavolo (Spicy Pasta)
- What Every Kitchen Needs – Pasta Bowls
- Christmas List
- Top 10 Best Small Kitchen Appliances
- Top 10 Best Kitchen Utensils and Gadgets