The long-awaited wait is over!!! I would like to introduce to you BIGOS!!! I know, I know…why a Polish dish on an Italian website. This website is actually a celebration of all food, not just Italian. This is a shout out to all my Polish friends. So, most of you are probably asking, “What is Bigos?” That is exactly what I was asking 1 1/2 years ago. I stopped by an English pub, and it was the special of the day. I said to myself, why not? I tried it and fell in love with the meal. As a matter of fact, I have probably made this meal 6-7 times in the past 1.5 years. It is the perfect winter dish. Bigos is also the “National Dish” of both Poland and the Ukrane according to Wikipedia. This recipe has 3 different types of pork meat. It is very important to note, do not skip the last step of adding the crusty bread torn by hand. In my opinion, this completes the meal. Enjoy a Triplo G Italian Kitchen favorite.
Prep Time: 20 min
Bake time: 2 1/2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 50 min
- 1.5 lbs Pork Roast, Cubed
- 14 oz Kielbasa, Sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 Slices of Thick Bacon, Chopped
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Portabella Mushroom, Chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 4 Cups Shredded Green Cabbage
- 2 Cups Sauerkraut, Drained
- 3 Cloves of Garlic Pressed and Minced (Do you have a Garlic Press?)
- 1 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper – use a Pepper Mill.
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Dry Red Wine
- 4 Cups Beef Stock
- 2 Dash Worcestershire
- 1 Cup Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Dash Red Hot
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Loaf Crusty Rustic Bread
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In your Dutch Oven, combine chopped bacon and kielbasa. Cook on stove top over medium-high heat until bacon and kielbasa are browned. Remove meat and set aside the bowl leaving the oil behind.
- In a large bowl, take cubed pork and dust with flour, pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper. Mix to coat the pork cubes very lightly.
- Increase the flame to medium to high heat on the Dutch Oven. Add a single layer of pork cubes to oil and brown pork on all sides. You will probably have to do the cubes in batches. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add onions, garlic , mushrooms, carrots, cabbage, sauerkraut, and fresh ground pepper. Sautee over low-med heat until vegetables are soft, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add wine, broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, italian seasoning, Worcestershire, red-hot, and paprika.
- Return to boil. Add the meats (pork, bacon, kielbasa) back to the dutch oven.
- Remove from stove top and place the Dutch Oven in preheated oven.
- Cook 2 1/2 hours at 325 degrees
- Rip off a handful of bread (see picture above) and serve with the stew in a bowl for dipping.