This is one of my favorite recipes. The added heat from the banana peppers gives that extra kick that just makes you want to keep coming back for more. It makes a real nice summer dish when fresh banana peppers are coming straight out of the garden. I’ve chosen to add a little chicken breast to this as well in order to up the protein content of the meal. Be careful with the banana peppers. Sometimes they can be very hot or not so hot. Adjust the recipe based on how hot the peppers are or according to your taste.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Total Time: 65 Minutes
INGREDIENTS: Marinara Sauce
- 1 Can 27 oz whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 Bunch fresh basil minced
- 1 Sweet onion minced
- 1 Carrot minced
- 3 Cloves Garlic (use your garlic press)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 Bag Linguine (16 oz)
- 2-4 Banana Peppers
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- Grated Romano Cheese
- In a large saucepan Saute garlic, onions, and carrots in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Puree tomatoes and tomato paste together and add to onion mixture.
- Add chopped basil.
- Return to boil and simmer on low heat for approx 45 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering pound your chicken breasts flat using your meat pounder.
- Preheat your cast iron skillet over the highest heat you can. Sear the chicken on the cast iron skillet until chicken is brown and cooked the whole way through.
- Remove chicken and slice into strips.
- Prepare pasta according to al dente instructions.
Now, the next set of instructions is the key to getting the dish prepared to perfection. Follow these steps very carefully.
- Saute the banana peppers in olive oil until soft. Add your sliced chicken along with 5-6 really big scoops of your sauce. Warm through.
- Add the cooked pasta to the banana pepper and chicken sauce and stir. Now, continue to cook the pasta, banana peppers, and sauce together on low heat for 1-2 minutes. This will ensure that your sauce will bond to the pasta for added flavor.
- Plate the pasta into bowls. Add a little extra sauce and garnish with grated romano cheese.
Serves 4 People